Sunday, November 14, 2010

There is no Junk Food. There is Food and there is Junk.

Case in point:  I just recently heard about the article by Karen Hanrahan back in 2008.  It's about a 12 year old McDonalds hamburger that looks virtually like it did when it was purchased.  Karen says in her post:

"This is a hamburger from McDonalds that I purchased in 1996.  That was 12 years ago.  Note that it looks exactly like it did the very day I bought it.  The flecks on the burger are crumbs from the bun.  The burger is starting to crumble a bit.  It has the oddest smell."

Here is her picture:



So, is this food, junk food, or a chemical concoction made to look like food?  I'll leave you to your own interpretation.

By definition, food is "any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc."  (from dictionary.com).  This burger seems to be anti-food in my mind, as I do not see how it could do any of those things.  In fact, I'm quite sure the body considers it an unnatural substance and has a hard time dealing with it.  

If you have watched the movie "Super Size Me", you can see what a steady diet of this anti-food can do and its not pretty!  In fact, its potentially dangerous.  My point with this is, that there is food (whole/unaltered/natural) that the body knows what to do with, and there is anti-food (altered/manufactured/processed) that is a foreign substance.  It takes a lot of your body's energy to deal with this anti-food which is providing little to no nutrition. 

You have a choice in how you feed your body.  Choose what will sustain life, provide energy, and promote growth.  I will be speaking a lot about whole foods and my recipes consist of whole food ingredients that are easy to prepare and taste great!   Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment