Sunday, November 13, 2011
Chia Seeds - 5 Reasons to Eat Them!
I love chia seeds so much and here are just 5 reasons why:
1. They have twice as much protein as other seeds or grains, providing all the essential amino acids in an easily digestible form.
2. They have three times the antioxidant strength of blueberries.
3. They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 fatty acids, (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). They have twice as much as wild salmon.
4. They are easier to digest than flax seeds and they don't need ground up.
5. They make a delicious drink in minutes, called Chia Fresca, and it is so hydrating.
There are so many more reasons than 5 to eat Chia seeds. They are shown to help with high blood pressure, weight loss, and blood sugar control. They have 5 times more iron than spinach, 2 times more potassium than bananas, and 5 times more calcium than milk (plus boron which is a trace mineral that helps transfer calcium into your bones).
What a great plant-based source of all these great nutrients! And they are so much fun and so easy to use. Add them to your morning smoothie, make Chia Fresca, Chia Pudding, and many other wonderful recipes.
2 tsp chia seeds
10oz pure water
juice of one lemon or lime
agave syrup or raw honey to taste
This is still a popular drink in modern-day Mexico. Simply stir the ingredients together and enjoy.
Raw 'Rice Pudding'
4-5 tbsp chia seed
2 cups almond milk
raw honey or agave syrup to taste
Combine the ingredients to your taste. Leave the chia to soak for at least 10 minutes before consuming. You can also add other flavours like vanilla, cinnamon or cardamom.